Avocado & slow-roasted tomatoes on toast + 10 other ways with avo on toast
Avocados are pretty much my favourite food. The are my go to when the fridge is bare and time is short, and lunch in my house is frequently a mashed ripe avocado on toast.
Avocados are loaded with good fats and omega 3, like the stuff you find in olive oil, and an artillery of vitamins and minerals. I would struggle to eat without them.
Here is a recipe for my all time favourite way to eat avo on toast as well as a quick top 10 of other great ways with the green beauties:
AVOCADO & SLOW-ROASTED TOMATOES ON TOAST
4 plum or 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
Bunch of basil, leaves picked
1 lemon, halved
3 ripe avocados
4 slices of sourdough bread
150g feta cheese
4 handfuls of rocket
You can do this part the night before. Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 1. Place the tomatoes cut-side up on a baking tray, season generously and drizzle with olive oil. Roast slowly for 11⁄2–2 hours, or until they are sticky and dried out. You can make batches of these and keep them in the fridge as they’re good with pasta, salads, grilled meat – almost everything.
When you’re ready for breakfast, pound the basil in a pestle and mortar with a pinch of salt until you have a paste. Pour in a good splash of olive oil and squeeze in the juice of 1⁄2 lemon.
Halve your avocados and scoop out the flesh. Place in a bowl, squeeze in the other lemon half and season with salt and pepper. Gently mash with a fork to bring it all together.
Toast the bread, then divide between 4 plates and generously spread on the avocado and top with the tomatoes. Top each serve with crumbled feta, a handful of rocket and a drizzle of basil oil.
My 10 favourite ways with avocado on toast:
· Mash an avocado with lemon, salt and pepper. Pile onto toasted sourdough, top with tomatoes, a little balsamic vinegar, a bit of basil and some olive oil.
· Mash an avocado with lemon juice and pile onto rye bread with a drizzle of honey. ·
Mash an avocado with some lime juice, salt and pepper. Pile onto toasted bread and top with a good sprinkling of chopped, fresh red chilli.
· Mash an avocado with a little lemon juice. Pile onto hot buttered toast and top with a poached egg and some chilli sauce.
· Mash an avocado with a little lemon juice. Spread a toasted bagel with a fine slick of cream cheese and top with the mashed avo, generously grate over lemon zest and sprinkle with lots of black pepper.
· Mash an avocado with a little lime juice, salt and pepper and stir in a chopped pring onion, a teaspoon of toasted mustard seeds and some chopped coriander. Pile onto hot toast.
· Mash your avocado with a tiny bit of lemon juice. Top hot toast with a slick of coconut oil, the mashed avo and then some toasted almonds.
· Mash your avocado with a little lemon juice, pile onto toast, then top with a few thin slices of banana and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
· Mash a ripe avocado with a little lemon juice, pile onto toast, and top with chopped pistachios, some toasted sesame seeds and a little honey and cinnamon.
· Whiz some basil with a little olive oil. Mash an avocado with a little lemon juice and pile onto hot toast, crumble over some feta and pour over the basil oil.
Images: David Loftus for Jamie Magazine and Claire Shilland for Innocent.